Owning a Montana Limited Liability Company (LLC) does come with some filing requirements.

Included with your visitor.us order is our support with the required filings.  visitor.us populates all the necessary forms with your LLC’s details, then you simply input the required values (e.g., the price you paid for the vehicle), sign the form, and visitor.us submits it to the authorities.

Create your LLC

Your Montana LLC is usually formed within one business day of sign-up for visitor.us.

Learn more about creating your Montana LLC here.

File SS-4 (Obtain EIN)

Filing Form SS-4 can be done as soon as your LLC is set up.

Filing anything with the US government requires an identification number.  For companies, this is called an Employer Identification Number (EIN), or sometimes, a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).  A company doesn’t have to have employees to have an Employer Identification Number - that’s just what the ID number is called.

Obtaining your LLC’s EIN can take as long as eight weeks, and your EIN is required to file your LLC’s Beneficial Ownership Information Report.

Learn more about filing your LLC's SS-4 here.

File Beneficial Ownership Information Report (BOIR)

Starting 1 January 2024, all US companies must file a Beneficial Ownership Information Report (BOIR), which lists all of the company’s owners, to the US government.

Your LLC’s BOIR must be filed within 90 days of forming your LLC.

Learn more about filing your LLC's BOIR here.

File Form 1120 and Form 5472

The US government wants to make sure that jets, yachts, and the like aren’t being bought through US shell companies by dictators and oligarchs (well, dictators and oligarchs that the US doesn't like).

Any US company owned by a non-US person must therefore file IRS Form 5472, in which the company declares any material purchases or sales (such as the purchase or sale of an automobile) during the year.

Form 5472 accompanies Form 1120, the standard US company tax return.

Filing Form 1120 and Form 5472 must be done by April 15th of the year following any payments associated with your LLC (formation expenses, vehicle purchase, insurance purchase, vehicle sale, etc.).  For example, if you sign up for visitor.us and buy your vehicle in 2024, these filings are due by April 15th, 2025.  A six-month extension may be obtained.

Learn more about filing your LLC's Form 1120 and Form 5472 here.

File Montana Annual Report

Montana law requires all Montana companies (including Limited Liability Companies, LLC’s) to file an Annual Report by April 15th of each year, beginning the year after the company was formed, until the company is terminated.

Keeping your LLC open for multiple calendar years will require a Montana annual report.

Learn more about filing your LLC's Montana annual report here.


In short, owning a Montana LLC does create some filing requirements.  

visitor.us is here to make these filings as easy as possible for you.  We’ll populate the forms with your LLC’s information, and you simply provide values (e.g., the price you paid and/or received for your vehicle) and sign the forms. 

visitor.us submits the completed forms for you, and provides evidence of the submission, so that you can focus on your travels.